1 (edited by belfer 2017-02-01 01:04:00)

Topic: Custom widgets that use other widgets

Hi, so my question is. How do I go about making a custom widget that encapsulates other widgets? In the CustomWidget example, you do all the layout via the InvalidateImpl function. However, I want to treat my widget only as a container for more widgets. Basically, I have one box where I pack all my widgets, this box gets added to the widget which derives from the Container class, I then handle the logic in the class itself. There seem to be problems with this approach as I'm not getting the right allocation for the custom widget. Is this implementation a bad design or am I missing something?

The code looks something like this:

Custom::Ptr Custom::Create()
{
    auto ptr = Ptr(new Custom());
    ptr->setup();
    return ptr;
}

Then setup looks like this:

void Custom::setup()
{
    m_mainbox = sfg::Box::Create(sfg::Box::Orientation::HORIZONTAL);
    m_mainbox->Pack(sfg::Button::Create("Test"), true, true);
    Add(m_mainbox);
}

There is only one button in the box, both should expand and fill all of the allocated area.
But even if the parent where the custom widget was added has a big allocation the button remains at the size of its requisition.

I should also mention that I calculate the requisition of the custom widget by just returning the requisition of the main box, i.e:

sf::Vector2f Custom::CalculateRequisition()
{
    return m_mainbox->GetRequisition();
}

2 (edited by belfer 2017-02-01 04:57:51)

Re: Custom widgets that use other widgets

So one way to go about this is to make the constructor in sfg::Box protected and then derive from that instead, that way I don't have to keep a Box::Ptr and just use the instance itself.

I'm actually going to keep a separate fork with the modifications I need. I might make a pull request later on if I think you might benefit from the design choices I'm going to make.

Nobody prevents you from taking the source code of one of the built in classes and basing your own project-specific code off of that. This way, you don't have to keep running around with a custom version of the library and have a hard time keeping it up to date when master gets updated.

Apologies for the late reply, I considered doing that but I felt like the changes were too small to rewrite an entire class. Also, I'm thinking of modifying other aspects of the library so it made sense to keep a separate repo. I'll try and avoid making the custom version a dependency for my program (rather than the main one), however, I understand that you might be busy and commits to the main repo might take some time to be pushed. For now, I will maintain my own repo, and as I mentioned before I will make a pull request for things that should have been included out of the box following your policies on extensibility.